Monday, February 23, 2009

American Idol~~What Happened Blew Me Away


I love music. On the other hand, I am not really big on many aspects of American pop culture; for example, watching television programs that most of the country can't keep away from. I avoided American Idol for years, assuming it was a silly program with mediocre singers and lots of judgment going on. (I was right). Then, a musician friend whom I deeply respect told me she is addicted to it, as some great musicians show up as contestants. I began to watch a couple of years ago. She, also, was correct!

I haven't always watched every season since then; last season in fact I found all the choices so tepid that it could not keep my interest. The year before I rooted for the beautiful & talented young Jordin Sparks. (I was doubly gratified that a voluptuous woman who was comfortable in her "non-Hollywood body type" won).

I just started to watch this season two weeks ago, as they got past the sillier aspect that I don't enjoy (nor do my friends); of showing the worst as well as the best of the auditions.

I was unprepared for what happened to me the night I watched.

There were very brief excerpts of all of the contestants singing. Yet in one short moment of watching a contestant named Anoop Desai, I was not only amazed by his voice. I also had what I would call a spiritual experience of him. This man has a voice that is clearly "Star Power"--he doesn't even seem of this world. His energy also emanates something I haven't seen in any of the other contestants in any year, as if he is channeling a Force of Creative Inspiration (forgive all those caps--how else to get my point across?) that is far larger than his mere (but lovely, I have heard consistently) personality. It's not just a maturity, but an ease. He is born to sing! (His voice reminds me of one of my all time favorite singers, Al Jarreau).

I was stunned when he was voted off this past week. I can't imagine why. Is it just me? No! I looked on the Rolling Stone web site and they agree with me! (As does almost everyone that commented). So perhaps he will make it to the Wild Card round. If not, someone who is very, very smart will grab that man up for a recording contract. He is a Force of Nature!

1 comment: